Our recipes for a homemade liniment
Liniment is a preparation made from lime water and olive oil applied to the skin to relieve burns. It is best known as a hygiene product for infants due to its soothing properties. Today, with the promotion of homemade products, many parents prefer to invest themselves in the manufacture of this baby bum care. If you are one of these, you will be interested in our recipes for a homemade liniment..
What is the use of a homemade liniment?
Also known as limestone liniment or oleo-limestone liniment, the liniment is renowned for caring for the baby's bum. It constitutes a natural and ecological alternative to the conventional products used during the change of your little heart's reusable nappies. This treatment has a multitude of advantages that it are important to know:
- homemade liniment prevents skin irritation caused by regular contact of the baby's bottom with soiled nappies from urine or stool.
- It is used to gently cleanse and remove impurities from the child's bottom.
- It moisturizes the skin and preserves it from the acidity of the next stool or urine. It is therefore recommended for an atopic skin or prone to eczema.
- It soothes surface burns.
- limestone liniment makes the skin less vulnerable to allergies and external aggressions.
This product will be of great help to you for the change of a soiled reusable nappy on a trip where soap and water cannot be found nearby.
What is the basic recipe for a homemade liniment?
The simplest method to make your oleo-limestone liniment requires only 2 ingredients namely lime water and olive oil. Note that you will need to use them in equal amounts. To make your natural infant care, stir the ingredients using a hand blender or a blender. After that, pour the resulting solution into a clean container with a tight seal.
Although the recipe is easy to make, this preparation can be overwhelming. Indeed, the 2 ingredients will tend to separate in the container, it will therefore be necessary to shake the mix regularly before each use. If you're having a hard time getting used to it, you should know that there are some fairly simple recipes as alternatives.
How do you make a stable homemade liniment?
To avoid the phase difference between lime water and olive oil and obtain a stable solution, consider using beeswax.
What are the required ingredients?
Preparing a homemade liniment of 200 milliliters is very easy, you will need:
- 100 millilitres of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 grams of beeswax
- 100 millilitres of limewater
You must have a clean, airtight container with a pump in order to be able to control the dosage of the product. The hygienic conditions also apply to the kitchen equipment you will use.
How to prepare limestone liniment?
Once the necessary elements are at hand, you can start making your natural infant care:
- First pour the beeswax and olive oil in a bowl and heat in a double boiler.
- Let the wax melt so that the mixture is completely liquid
- Remove the mixture from the heat and then gradually add the lime water to the still hot mixture of beeswax and olive oil.
- Use a whisk to mix everything together while you pour in the lime water.
- Transfer the lukewarm solution into a healthy bottle then let it cool before using it for the first time.
- Label the container while specifying the date of when you made your homemade liniment.
When stored at room temperature, the liniment can be stored for 1 month. Before handling lime water, protect yourself with protective goggles and gloves to avoid irritation.
Quick recipe for a homemade liniment
In the case that you are short on time, you can make a quick homemade liniment without heating it in a double boiler. All you will need here is the Thermomix in which you will stir the olive oil and beeswax at 70 ° C at speed 2. After 3 minutes, pour in the lime water, then mix again. at intensity 4 for 20 seconds. However, remember to clean your equipment well after your preparation.
Where to find the ingredients for a homemade liniment?
Are you ready to move on to making a natural bum care product for your baby? You will have no trouble putting your ingredients together:
- Beeswax: Either at a bee beekeeper or you can find your beeswax drops here
- Lime water: Turn to your nearest pharmacy, this way you know you got the right quality
- Olive oil: you will find it in any organic stores.
We would also like to mention that the ingredients chosen must be organic in order to protect the baby from possible pesticides.
What are the tips for using a homemade liniment ?
Before using your homemade liniment for the first time, consider shaking the bottle a little. This action gives homogeneity to the slightly thick preparation after cooling. As with any baby body care product, test a small amount of the liniment in the crook of the child's arm to make sure he or she is not allergic. If you don't notice anything abnormal, then you can safely apply it onto your baby when you change his or her AI2 reusable nappy.
Although the product is effective against nappy rash, if you notice redness on the baby's bottom over time, it is best to restrict its use. In this case, use a water paste and a drying lotion. These treatments let the baby's skin breathe.
You will certainly see various uses of the liniment especially to fight against seborrheic dermatitis in babies commonly known as cradle cap. Note that the use of the product for this purpose is not recommended. The same is true for the use of the liniment as a makeup remover, aftershave cream or aftersun lotion. The application of this treatment on facial skin has led to an inventory of cases of inflammation of the hair follicle or acne. The product is therefore purely reserved for the care of the bum.
Here you are a little more educated on the various recipes for a homemade liniment of the most effective and practical. Note that this product has an economic benefit and offers real control over the ingredients used. As a reminder, it is essential to opt for natural ingredients in order to preserve both the health of the baby and the environment.