The Konjac sponge, the traditional beauty sponge from Japan
What is a Konjac sponge?
The Konjac sponge is the beauty trend that originated in Japan. This revolutionary treatment has been used there for more than two millennia.
Konjac sponges come from the root of the eponymous plant ( to learn more about the Konjac plant, visit our blog here). Although today they are mixed with other ingredients such as activated bamboo charcoal, clay and green tea, the original version is 100% made from Konjac root.
This natural sponge has the shape of an inflated round pebble with a diameter of about 10 cm. Perfectly sized in the palm of your hand, it swells on contact with water and feels soft against the skin. Initially used to wash the new skin of babies, the natural Konjac sponge has quickly become a must-have for the whole family..
It is perfect for lovers of the zero waste approach and the vegan lifestyle. Konjac sponge is a product that is not tested on animals at any stage of production and does not contain any animal ingredients. Made from natural plant fibers, after use it can be used, for example, as a pot filler to retain moisture or as a natural composter in a garden. The Konjac sponge is fully biodegradable and degrades naturally within a few weeks.
What are the benefits of a Konjac sponge?
Cleansing and exfoliating the skin of the face is key to taking care of your face and preparing your skin to better absorb the main beneficial active agents of your moisturizing balm, mask or oil.
The Konjac sponge is ecological, natural and biodegradable. It allows a very silky cleansing of your skin. The benefits are numerous and will change the way you take care of your skin. To list a few, the Konjac sponge:
- Cleanses the skin deeply
- Reduces skin imperfections
- Gently exfoliates the epidermis
- Eliminates acne, shine, redness
- Unblocks pores and narrows larger ones
- Eliminates excess sebum
- Smooths and softens the epidermis
- Does not cause irritation
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Accelerates cell regeneration
- Intensely nourishes the skin, providing it with precious elements of natural origin
- Provides pleasant sensory impressions
- Provides relaxation and relaxation of facial muscles
- Suitable for all skin types: dry, combination, oily, sensitive, normal ...
- Restores the skin's natural pH
To find out more about the benefits of the konjac sponge for the body and face, discover our article here.
How do you use a Konjac sponge?
The small Konjac sponge, after taking it out of the packaging, is dry, stiff and slightly hard. When in contact with water, its structure transforms into an absolutely smooth and soft texture.
Konjac natural sponge contains a natural cleanser. It is therefore not necessary to use other cosmetics to fully benefit from its virtues. Cleaning your face with water and this natural sponge will suffice. If you want to remove makeup, only use a small amount of your makeup remover oil. To get the sponge ready to use, soak it in lukewarm water. Squeeze it lightly so it can absorb water faster and increase its size significantly. If you notice that your Konjac sponge is soft enough, squeeze it gently to drain the excess water. Use the Konjac sponge using circular motions and gently massaging the skin. It will carefully clean the impurities. Its flexible structure allows the natural sponge to easily reach hard-to-reach places - around the nose, eyes and ears. If your wish is to exfoliate your skin more intensely, you can try using the natural Konjac dry sponge. Be careful not to rub too much to avoid irritating your skin.
After completing your treatment, rinse your spongia thoroughly and let it dry. Most Konjac sponges have a thread sewn through which you can hang it up to make it dry more easily.
To prolong the life of your sponge, soak it from time to time in boiling water
Which Konjac Sponge should I choose
To choose your Konjac sponge correctly, take your skin type into account. There is only one 100% Konjac sponge - the white one. Other colors of sponges mean that a natural ingredient has been added to better meet the needs of different skin types.
- Dry skins : if you have dry skin that feels tight and rough to the touch, choose a Konjac sponge with red clay
- Oily skins : if your skin is oily, shines and your pores are dilated, choose the Konjac sponge with activated charcoal
- Sensitive skins : If your skin is sensitive, you can enjoy the benefits of Konjac Pink Clay Sponge. It will provide very gentle care for your overly reactive skin.
What are the different types of Konjac sponges?
There are several types of natural Konjac sponges:
- The Konjac sponge with bamboo activated charcoal: rich in minerals and antioxidants. It is perfect for the care of oily, mixed or acne-prone skin. It has the antibacterial properties of activated carbon. This helps fight against blemishes and blackheads. It will regulate the production of sebum or even prevent the multiplication of bacteria
- THe Konjac sponge with pink clay : this natural sponge is intended for sensitive and reactive skin, prone to irritation and redness. It will give a boost to tired, dehydrated and energy-deprived skin. The Konjac sponge with pink clay will cleanse, refresh and balance your skin perfectly.
- The Konjac sponge with green clay : thanks to the antibacterial and astringent properties of green clay, this sponge is suitable for the care of normal and mixed skin. It cleanses and hydrates the skin, restoring its natural pH. Test the botanical cleansing sponge.
- The natural white Konjac Sponge : original, 100% pure, it is suitable for all skin types.